(suitable for Vegetarian or Vegan)
- 200 g dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and cooked or a large tin chickpeas (400 g)
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, pureed
- 1-inch fresh ginger, pureed
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp chilli powder (or one fresh chilli chopped)
- 1 fresh tomato, finely chopped
- 1/3 tsp salt or to taste
- 1½ tbs vegetable oil
- Chopped coriander to finish
- Mix all the spices, salt, onion, garlic, ginger and tomato with water, enough to make a thick paste.
- Heat oil in a pan over a medium heat, add the paste and cook, stirring so it doesn’t catch, until the oil leaves the side of the pan
- Add chickpeas, stir and cook for about I minute on medium heat.
- Add 125 ml of water (add more if needed) to make a gravy
- Cook for 4 – 5 minutes, gently smash the chickpeas to thicken the gravy.
- Add additional salt if required, sprinkle with the chopped coriander and serve.